How well DO you know your YA novels?
Do you know them so well that you can remember all the books’ first sentences off the top of your head? Below, we have 15 first sentences of some relatively well-known YA books. Let’s see how many of them you can recognize and name the title and author of! Anyone who guesses all 15 of them gets a cookie. Promise. *prepares virtual jar of cookies* AND, if you can’t guess some of the books because you haven’t read the book, I feel sorry for you. In other words, GO READ ALL THESE BOOKS IF YOU WANT TO CALL YOURSELF A YA FAN. To make it harder, I’ve sometimes included the prologue, and sometimes I’ve used the first line of the first chapter instead. MWAHAHA, I AM EVIL, YES?
The answers are hidden in spoiler tags, NO CHEATING!
1. I’ll be lost for words if you cannot think of which book this one came from. I EVEN GAVE Y’ALL A CLUE SO NO EXCUSES FOR THIS ONE, OKAY?
2. I suppose the entire world knows this book.
3. CAN YOU JUST IMAGINE A WORLD WITH NO MIRRORS? I’d wake up with a drawn mustache on my face, go on public transport on my way to school without knowing it. LER GASP.
4. Hello, book who obviously everyone will get right.
5. I swear, the name gives it away.
6. Only one of the best series ever.
7. Ooh la la…
8. Are we getting a little harder? Hm…perhaps. But you’ve seen nothing yet.
9. Disclaimer: I haven’t read the book, I JUST REALLY LIKE THE QUOTE, OKAY?
10. I’d give you a hint but then it would make it WAY too obvious.
11. Le gasp! Another boy.
12. ALL THE COLOUR. Actually, it’s very deceiving because the book itself is awfully bleak for most of it.
13. Dis person got lotsa attitude and a messed up life
14. There’s a clue in that picture, NOW USE YOUR BRAIN AND THINK THINK THINK
15. Wait…who now? WHO THE HELL IS GRACE SOMERFIELD.
How many did you answer correctly without peeking at the spoiler tags? Tell me in the comments! More importantly, which of these books have you read? What are your thoughts on them?
Latest posts by Melanie (see all)
- Giveaway: The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare - February 14, 2016
- Midnight Blogging 101: The Thing About ARCs - January 16, 2016
- YA Midnight Reads is looking for a new co-blogger! - January 9, 2016
- Mel’s 2016 Resolutions (That Hopefully Will Last the Year) - January 7, 2016